Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sonic-Sized

I like Sonic. More specifically I like Diet Vanilla Dr Pepper from Sonic.

It has become the indispensable staple that allows me to forge on though the humdrum work days that are so often bound by the cold walls of monotony and despair (it’s really not that bad, I just thought that sounded poetic, or something).

Many people find their morning joy in a cup coffee, a frothy cappuccino, or say, an iced-venti-non-fat-eight-pump chai tea latte. Me, I am a simple man who gets his pleasure from such a simple, yet satisfying beverage that always keeps me longing for more.

Lately, however, I have been somewhat downtrodden by the experiences that I have encountered at America’s Drive-In. Like most Sonic goers, I frequent the chain for the beverages, not the gimmicky here-today-gone-tomorrow “treats” like deep fried mac and cheese bites, Cinnasnacks, fried apple-cinnamon bites, and fried cheesecake bites that all inevitably taste just like tater tots. Trust me, I have tried them all.

In the last few weeks I have found myself agitated when I make the trek to sonic at eight o’clock in the morning and the ordering procedure goes something like this:

Derek: “I would like a large Diet Dr Pepper with vanilla, please.”
Carhop: “Ok, a large Diet Dr. Pepper with vanilla is $1.83, is that all?”
Derek: “Yes, that’s all.”
Carhop: “Ok, I have a large Diet Dr Pepper with vanilla, would you like to try some mozzarella sticks what that this morning?”

I politely reply with a “no,” overcoming the temptation to angrily shout “No, I don’t want to try any mozzarella sticks, its eight o’clock in the morning. If I would have wanted them, I would have said so.”

This same conversation has happened more than once when the Carhop has asked if I wanted an extra-long chili cheese coney. Seriously, forget about it being morning, who goes to Sonic to get a drink and is that easily swayed into buying a foot-long hot dog smothered with chili and cheese. I guess some people do, but not me. Maybe some day I will change, but for now onward to Sonic…Happy Hour starts in ten minutes.

3 comments:

Pandamonium said...

Oh, Derek...your thoughts of love for Sonic drinks are a mirror of my own. It leaves me wanting a Diet DP with Raspberry right about now. :)

TeamBortzfield said...

D- So Hilarous, you know who is easily swayed by the mandatory "new food" pitches by sad teenagers in roller skates? SCOTT BAIO

Jenny M said...

Oh my I goodness I feel your pain! I hate when they do that! Too funny!