Monday, October 20, 2008

Six years ago!

Six years ago yesterday was my first date with Derek. I was a Senior at Baylor and he was a Junior. Yes, I fell for a younger man. A mutual friend introduced us. We knew who each other was because Derek was a big brother for my sorority but we had never officially met. And a couple of years before I worked with someone that knew Derek. She told me I should meet him and that we would be great together. I didn't think much of it at the time but low and behold God did bring us together afterall.

A few days after we initially met, I came home from class and realized I had a message waiting. It was a very nervous Derek asking me to go with him to the Dixie Chicks concert at the Fair (this was before all the Dixie Chicks drama happened). My roommates and I listened to the message over and over again because Derek spoke so fast I could barely understand him...he was so nervous, it was adorable! I think he knew I was in class so he could leave me a message thus putting the ball in my court to call him back. He denies this but I know thats the truth!

I did indeed call him back to accept. I bought a new outfit for the night and everything! We had a great time and I knew after that night that he was the guy for me. And soon after that night, I noticed Derek's precious Jessica Simpson photo on his night stand was mysteriously missing. That's when I knew he liked me too!

I leave you with Derek's favorite picture, the one that used to be framed and on his night stand as well as is the only picture on his Facebook page! But I'm not bitter.

4 comments:

Melissa-D said...

You overtook the Jessica Simpson picture...that's huge! He must really love you! ; )

What a sweet story!

Albus Adventures said...

Thanks for sharing! Ya'll are such a sweet couple and I remember being encouraged by seeing God work through your relationship during those early days!

AW said...

What a sweet story! Jessica Simpson? I wouldn't even consider her competition...you're in a totally different league!

BTW, younger guys rock. ;-)

Anonymous said...

So sweet!! I can't believe it has been that long! I remember that sweet message! We knew he was a keeper!
Love you guys!