Tuesday, July 21, 2009

To the Theatre We Go


Derek here again.

In a desperate attempt to culture ourselves, and experience artistic expression through theatre arts (yes, theatre with the “re” – it’s just classier that way), Lauren and I have been attending the wide array of Dallas Summer Musical productions at the Music Hall at Fair Park this summer.

Now, I am no stranger to the theatre. In fact, I enjoy a catchy song and dance number every now and then. Something that gets my toe tapping is just fine with me.

I have spent countless hours of my life immersed in the Lake Highlands High School Theater (not that classy) Department’s emotionally captivating renditions of “Hello Dolly,” “Some Like It Hot,” “Guy’s and Dolls,” and many others – mainly in support of my wonderful sister (by the way, thanks Heather for coming to those three baseball games of mine in the fifth grade). I even co-starred as Freddy the Farmhand, in the Lake Highlands Elementary production of “My Fair Lady Goes West” – now, who could forget that riveting performance.

So you can tell that I was open to the idea of attending and being a part of musical magic!

First up this summer was that old classic “Happy Days.” That’s right, the Fonz, Mr. C, and the rest of the gang were in full force and belting out the tunes in order to save Arnolds, which nothing short of a wresting match between Fonzie and the Malachi Brothers would do. Spoiler alert – Arnold’s is saved! I give this one a C+ for not being that good, but mildly humorous with references to Richie’s long lost brother Chuck, and Fonzie jumping the shark.

Next on the list was “The Wizard of Oz.” It was a great story and a great production. I can’t really say too much about this one except I was a little disappointed that they didn’t use real midgets, um, little people. They tricked us by using children. Oh well. I give it an A.

“Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” was another classic that honestly, I wasn’t too familiar with before attending. I knew it was a musical and it was about a flying car. What I didn’t know was how irritating the title song would be, even days later. “Oh you pretty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, We love you.” B+.

And then there was ‘A Chorus Line.” Oh boy. I wasn’t quite ready for this one. I knew I was in for something interesting even before the musical even began.

At the Music Hall they have a buffet dinner before the show in which theatre-goers can enjoy a meal that shares a theme with the musical. As I was filling my salad plate, I couldn’t help but notice a sign that indicated that I was partaking in the “T&A” salad bar. I was taken aback for a moment, but quickly realized in parenthesis it was noted that it stood for toasted almonds. Whew.

And then the show began. Meandering through a myriad of snaps, taps and painfully-looking toe-touches (by men), this plot got too deep too fast. Maybe it was that there wasn’t much to the set, just a few mirrors, or the fact that is was more of a monologue than a story that put me off. I don’t know. Maybe it was the fact that I was forced for two hours to listen to some dudes talk about how it was their childhood dream to dance. Yeah, that’s it. I give this a D for making me feel uncomfortable.

Next up - Legally Blonde. I’ll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Albus Adventures said...

You guys will LOVE Legally Blonde...especially you, Lauren! Way to endure Derek!

Alison and Scott said...

I am so jealous!! I went to the DSM for the last 5 years or so and this is the first year that we can't go!! So, I will live it through you!! Have fun!!

TeamBortzfield said...

nice job D I think you could write critiques for the observer...look into it. You're a great sport for going. Jimmy really hates musicals.

The Cochran Fam said...

Derek, you crack me up!