Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Legally Blonde

Musicals are funny.

Where is this magical land where it is ok to sing out loud in public? Why is there always an orchestra ready to play? Where does the music come from (please don’t say “the heart”)? And, how does everyone always know all the words and dances to make it all fit together perfectly? If I start singing a song about how much I love my wife right now, will she start singing the same song at work? My head hurts.

Call me crazy, but where I come from we just talk about what’s on our minds. It’s a lot easier that way – but maybe not as cute.

Speaking of “cute,” Lauren and I were able to catch “Legally Blonde – The Musical,” last week at Fair Park. It was about as frou frou as expected, but still left me a little disappointed with the show’s songs.

The only one I can remember was the opening number called “Omigod You Guys,” which was clearly the audience favorite. Nothing says “adorable” more than breaking one of God’s commandments, am I right, or what? Soooooo cute.

Honestly, if you have seen the movie, you’ve seen the musical. Same story, some forgettable songs. C+

Next up, Mama Mia! Sitting this one out.

3 comments:

Lauren and Derek said...

For the record, I give this musical an A++!! Clearly, Derek has no appreciation for fine dancing and singing and the use of PINK!! Ladies - go see this show!

TeamBortzfield said...

i loved the mtv show where they cast a new elle woods for the broadway show-- so cute!

Albus Adventures said...

Well, if I were closer I'd totally go to Mama Mia with you Lauren! And for the record I loved the MTV show and musical of Legally blonde!