Monday, April 20, 2009

From Drab to Fab!!

This past weekend, I was in the mood to redecorate. I really do feel sorry for my sweet husband. He puts up with my decorating obsession. Usually when he hears that I have an idea, he thinks money signs. But I can be thrifty! And this time I was! I'm always moving things around or finding some creative way to display something or another. I really think I have a sickness! I'm never satisfied! So, I was feeling sorry for my poor little kitchen. We don't have a hutch and I really think she deserves a hutch (before you start feeling too sorry for myself, I do have to add that I have a china cabinet in my dining room). I made my own version of a hutch with things that I already owned. I wonder what area of my house I can redecorate next?!

Kitchen before (from the fall, no I don't still have pumpkins sitting around)


Kitchen after (my shabby chic white display - the picture doesn't do it justice)


Also pictured in the above picture is a chandelier that Derek and I updated. Are you sick of the standard lighting that you have? Have no fear! With just a little paint, some sparkle and a handy husband you can turn something drab into something fab!

Before picture of our kitchen chandelier (ours only has 3 lights):


To update this light fixture, Derek took the light down from the ceiling. I threw away the glass globes. I sprayed the existing light fixture with a cream colored spray paint. Then, we rotated the arms upward. Just hang the light back up, add a few crystals (these I bought at Canton), add a few shades. And Ta da! You have a brand new chandelier! I know my ideas are not exquisite but they can turn something boring into something great if you don't have the money to buy that designer furniture piece or light fixture. I think this cost me about $20 total.

This is a terrible picture, but you get the idea.

Happy Decorating!!

5 comments:

Jenny M said...

Super cute! I love the all white display! Tres Chic!

Albus Adventures said...

My sister hocked me on this blog: http://tipjunkie.blogspot.com/. You should submit your tips to her. She posts them on her blog and I think you might get something for it. It's worth looking into!

The Kennedy's said...

See now this is a skill that I long to have and just don't. Your house looks fantastic! I am especially envious of the chandelier...great job!

AW said...

Lauren, have you ever consider "spinning"? They are decorators that take what the client already has and "spins" it to make something new? I worked for a spinner awhile back and she just charged her hourly charge and any additional accessories the room needed.

You're truly talented...I think you'd be great at it. Wanna practice on my house? :-)

TeamBortzfield said...

Love love love it! Can't wait to see you~